Saturday 14 April 2012

Maisie and Lily ♥

So, this week for me has been a real mix of emotions. Firstly, excitement of getting our new kittens, Maisie and Lily on Easter Sunday. A day I have been looking forward to for ages! I was dying to snuggle with them and sing them (badly) to sleep by singing 'soft kitty warm kitty.'

Maisie and Lily (L-R)
When we got them home we had a crate set up for them to make their way in to in their own time. They are very small you see, so the crate was to give them that extra bit of safety while we are out and to give them a safe little retreat. So I sat there for most of the 7 hours while they slept and spooned each other, until Lily made the giant steps for kitty kind and walked out of the carrier. 

Maisie
Lily
 It took Maisie a little longer and a little bit more encouragement and a few nudges to eventually get her to come out of the carrier. This is when we started to notice differences between the two, Lily became playful at times as you would expect, but Maisie just seemed to be tired a lot of the time. We also noticed that Lily would follow where you hand went in front of her face, but Maisie did not. As you can imagine we started to become a little concerned at this point and so we'd keep an eye on her. 

Monday was much the same, Lily became more playful and Maisie was a little unresponsive and tired. We would have taken her to the vets this day, had it not been for the bank holiday. But we phoned the vets first thing they opened on Tuesday and took both Maisie and Lily down for an appointment. 

The vet checked Lily and said she was fine and after giving Maisie a check he said that she was very dehydrated and that they would have to keep her over night and get fluids in to her and so we did that and took Lily back home. 

The vets tried to inject Maisie with fluids but it didn't work so they had to put her on a drip. She was apparently making the nurses laugh because she was still trying to move around with the big bandage on. She went home with a nurse over night, but she was not very improved by Wednesday so they took some bloods. The bloods showed that she was severely anaemic, meaning she would have to have a blood transfusion. In the afternoon there was a call from the vet, asking to speak to my mum, much like they did that morning when they had phoned with an update. However, in the morning after they had spoken to my mum, she phoned me to give me an update. In the afternoon this didn't happen and so I was dreading my mum coming back home after work as I sort of knew what to expect. 

I had been upstairs all day looking after Lily and when mum came upstairs and opened the door I only had to look at her face to know. 'Is she gone?' I said, and mum nodded and said 'I'm so sorry' in a very blubbery voice. As you can imagine, I was then instantly in tears with memories of the similar situation of Amy flooding back. 

Again, this really showed me how close you can get to animals, even in such a short time, you become so attached and they really are a part of the family. Thankfully we still have Ella and Lily and so it gave us something to focus on and lightens the blow to a certain extent, if that makes sense. 

Lily really has been fantastic, she has such a character. So playful and affectionate it is lovely and she is also absolutely beautiful, as was Maisie. It really is a shame, as I was so looking forward to them growing up together, it just seems unfair that Maisie was taken so soon! Just 57 days old, it just doesn't seem fair at all! However, the unfortunate fact is that this really is just what life is like, however unfair it may seem.

2 comments:

  1. It's such a shame about Maisie :(
    But at least you still have Lily, I bet she looks even tiner next to Ella! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it really is :(
      Yes and she is lovely, they have met briefly and Ella seems to be very interested and licked the ankles of my jeans after I had Lily lying on them! So adorable! xx

      Delete